søndag 15. juni 2008

Sunday walk

One of the things I love about this city is that there always seems to be something new to discover. Even in places I've been several times before. Suddenly there's a market of some kind, or people playing music or doing performances, a shop I haven't noticed previously, an exhibition etc. I may feel differently after living here for a few years, but cities change and evolve too. Today I had a really nice long walk, and happened upon a second hand book market which also sold comic books and vinyl. That would of course have been a bit more interesting for me if I could read Dutch properly or had an LP player, but it's still nice that these things pop up round and about. I also came across a modern art market that was kinda nice.
And I walked past a church I'd seen before that was open now. I'm not terribly religious, although I do believe in a power greater than man, I just don't know what it is specifically and am reluctant to call it God. But for some reason I often like churches. I feel at peace there somehow. And of course a lot of them are nicely decorated. I had a cup of coffee at a cafe/restaurant down by the canal side, and on my way home I got distracted by a jazz trio playing in another cafe. I heard the music out on the street, and I thought I'd go in and have a look. The music was really nice (I like jazz as long as it's not too experimental), but the venue was a little intimate - read: I didn't get a seat, and after several hours of walking my legs were too tired to stand up for much longer. But apparently they have live jazz there every Sunday, so that's something to remember. The nice thing is, I wasn't specifically looking for any of these things I came across today, they were just there. I love days like this, and I love having the time to just wander around and go where my fancy takes me. Holidays rule! (Oh and BTW, so does the Dutch football team, still... )

Ingen kommentarer: