lørdag 6. september 2008

Wandelen in de Vondelpark

Thursday I was again not feeling the city love when I woke up at 7.something because the airplane traffic had been redirected over our house, so you could hear the planes quite clearly, and all the time. Our next door neighbours were being noisy with hammers, and across the street builders were throwing metal plates out of windows with loud metallic bangs. I went to seek refuge in the Vondelpark, which turned out to be a good idea. It is one of the largest parks in the city, and although it's not exactly free of noises and people, you do still feel the serenity of nature. It was nice to see and smell the trees and grass (not so many flowers any more, this time of year), feel the wind on my face, and hear the birds chirping. After having somehow gotten myself into the area of the park that was under renovation (well, there was a small path next to the fence, how was I supposed to know I shouldn't go there?...), getting out of there again by going through some stinging nettles and almost falling in the water, I turned out to be on the opposite side of the park from what I'd wanted. And when I got home again I'd been walking for three hours and was far too tired to be upset about anything. :)







Some old geezers trying to catch fish. Though the water seemed pretty still and fish free to me.

A statue of the Dutch poet Joost van den Vondel, after whom the park is named. I would not have known who he was if it hadn't been for the fact that he was mentioned in one of the Dutch exercises I recently did. Now I also know that he was born on the 17th of November, 1587 (Joost van den Vondel is op zeventien november vijftien zevenentachtig geboren).

A willow tree that I naturally had to climb out onto. It was quite nice to sit there for a while. I can imagine it would be a nice place to write..


On my way home I came across a chocolaterie that had camouflaged itself as a fish/shoe store. I didn't even buy anything. How strong am I?..


Ingen kommentarer: